Wiscarson Law filed a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) against the McMinnville School District, alleging that the District was discriminating against students with disabilities by dismissing those students early. Students with disabilities who rode specialized buses were let go before general education students, leading to less instructional time. Before OCR issued their ruling, the District agreed to address these issues by signing a Voluntary Resolution Agreement (Agreement).
The Agreement requires the District to take the following actions, among other things, for the
2020 – 2021 school year:
- By October, The District will review its policies to make sure that kids with disabilities do not go home earlier than their peers.
- The District will train all staff about its new policies on transportation.
- The District will assess whether students with disabilities were treated differently than their peers and will develop a plan to ensure that transportation does not result in a shorter school day.
- The District will provide compensatory education to each student whose day was shortened.
- The District will provide documentation to OCR that all of the above has been completed.
See original documents below: